As you can see in my blog, quite close to the time I opened this site I was directed to Dan (http://www.marginallyclever.com) that makes quite a similar solution. he is writing a software for a robot that is moving pen with two fixed motors on the boards. his hardware is also based on Arduino.
I took his (great) work and edited it that it will match my setup and since, I am quite happy.
Versions of the Arduino code I wrote: (stored in Dan’s Git)
- 22 May 2013 – Link
Producing the graphics may be an issue since the current software reads G-code (a language that manufacturing machines work with), and if you want it to make any picture you need to convert it into g-code first.
The conversion is performed in few steps:
- You have your desired graphics in a VECTOR file (not an image) – can be made by Inkscape.
- You convert it into .DXF format- kind of middle format between graphics to g-code. (also Inkscape)
- You load the DXF into a CAM software (I follow Dan’s recommendations and use Cambam)
- Using Cambam I generate the g-code file (.ngc) that is needed to the KeerBot for drawing
As you can see, the process is quite slow and clumsy, and I hope to find a way to make it simple.